Re: Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material

In a similar vein, all the major pre-manufactured building vendors will have someone on staff who is registered in the State of Alaska.  They do the design down to the anchor rods and bottom of the base plate and then another engineer (usually local) will design the foundation and the rod anchorage to concrete.

Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com wrote:

Bill,

It is not uncommon for a specialty contractor to have on staff or a consultant who has P.E. licenses in multiple states.  I have a friend who use to be on this list a long time ago who provided stamped drawings for precast concrete and had a license for every state.  I remember him discussing how difficult it was that many states had different requirements for yearly training and he had this huge spread sheet to keep track of the billings and education requirements.  I believe it is a legal requirement that the drawings be stamped with the licence of where the item will be installed but I too have come across certain building departments, especially back East, where they do not care.  The same issue comes up often with Truss Manufactures.  As said before, you would definitely not get away with this in California.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc" <bill
03/31/2010 07:47 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc

Subject
Re: Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material

It's a good point that someone else raised about this being, not the SEoR, but the engineer for a specialty fabricator.

However, I would also point out that this IS an "original design" in the sense that there were no members sized on these walkways on the engineer's drawings. The walkways are fabricated items - in this case fabbed from aluminum - and the only design work is represented on the fabricator's drawings and the calcs that were submitted with the approval package.

I could go either way on this.

BTW, I don't think there is a "building official" because like so many things I deal with this is a "non-building" structure that happens to be located in Chesapeake Bay, of all places.

So, conundrum.