RE: Perforated Metal

Thank you very much Paul.  I was beginning to wonder how many people actually received my emails, given the recent hiccups of the seaint server.

Large deflections during wind loading will not be an issue. I've spoken with the client and they are going to create a mockup.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Ransom [mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 10:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Perforated Metal

Richard,
It really depends on the function and aesthetic.

Tension net if large deflections can be aesthetically tolerated (don't
forget the catenary forces to the supports).

Bending, otherwise.

As for design, it depends on how sophisticated you need to get. It may be
sufficient to do a one way beam analysis. Consider the section properties to
be the net properties over a unit width. There's always Roark's for
restrained plate analysis.

Ultimately, it may be less time/expense and more "feel good" comfort to rig
a test with some sandbags.

Regards
Paul
--