Re: Westergaard Chart for Membrane Stresses in Thin Rectangular Plates..

Re: Engineering Monograph No. 27 "Moments and Reactions for Rectangular Plates", U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation.

Complex retaining wall designs can be greatly reduced by considering FEM at corners. I consider these a lot by using these equations.

Appendix II has the derivation of the charts. I find it tempting to put it all into a program. Has there been any work to add plate equations to excel or MathCAD?

There are also plate equations for distributing shear including post yielding when buckling causes diagonal wrinkling and concentrates edge stresses at opposing corners. I see recent cook-book approaches for steel plate shear walls. Problem is that the equations assume a rigid boundary resulting mega beam boundaries that could just as well be rigid frames.

As is the problem with most plate equation references, there are ways to add supports with linear and rotational stiffnesses which might actually be practical now, with the use of excel or MathCad.

David Merrick, SE     Sacramento