From: Larry Hauer <lhauer(--nospam--at)live.com>
To: Struct. Eng. Assoc. <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Sat, Apr 3, 2010 8:57 am
Subject: Testing Epoxied Anchors

I performed the engineering on a seismic retrofit of a 2 story concrete exterior wall and wood roof/2nd floor building and used epoxied threaded rod anchors to connect the exterior walls to the roof/floor framing. Even though each detail had the note "Special Inspection Required",(and underlined), plus my inspection notes said that all epoxied anchors shall have "Spcial Inspection During Installation", the contractor failed to do this!

The space is very tight where the anchors have been installed and I think it is just about impossible to set up an aparatus to "pull test" the anchors and would like to torque test them using the formula of T=(KxDxFp)/12 to get the equivelent torque for required anchor tension, (2x the design load).

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks in Advance,

Larry Hauer S.E.

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. =