From: erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Mon, Apr 5, 2010 1:24 pm
Subject: Nominal lumber specifications

Does anyone have any information when the "UBC" or other building codes for
California 1st started specifying nominal lumber dimensions? For example 1.5" x
3.5" instead of 2" x 4".

We have a project and the architect is saying that nominal lumber began to be
used during the 1970's, but I have seen homes in the 50's and 60's framed with
nominal lumber and not "rough" dimensions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated