RE: Testing Epoxied Anchors

I have worked with hydraulic tensioners on several projects.  I would call a few of the tensioner guys like Biach Industries to see what they can do.

Torque testing is not a good method for rating a tension load.  The AISC only allows torque as an arbitration tool.  There are several methods of load cells that you might try.  Do a Google search for "Force Washer Load Cells".  They can be rented.  Then all you need is to design a plate that can distribute the load on the substrate.

Regards, Harold Sprague

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Testing Epoxied Anchors
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:32:25 -0400
From: coengineer(--nospam--at)aim.com

I have seen this done many times.  There may be some inaccuracies due to the wide variations in K factors, but try to match the K to the actual condition of the rods used in the field.  Also, you will only be testing the bond strength (not concrete breakout), but this is probably appropriate for a verification type test.  Hope that helps.

Howard Silverman, PE
Covert Operations/USP Structural Connectors