RE: Uplift Pressure of Wet Concrete?

The pressure depends on the rate of the pour but is always based on the
unit weight of the mud.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 4:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Uplift Pressure of Wet Concrete?

It came to me after I sent my reply, it was about the max pressure on
vertical formwork. It said that the pressure increased with depth to a
maximum of 800-850 psf after which it did not increase any more at
greater depths.  Thanks for your replies.  I will have to pause before I

send another question.
Gary

--

--

> Robert, Thor and Harold,
> 145-150 pcf.  That's what this old beer-addled brain keeps telling me,

> but I seem to remember something about fluid pressures of concrete
> actually being more.  It was an article from an engineering
> publication about formwork design and that is what I can't find.  It
> had to be at least 31 years old because I had found it at a previous
> employer where I left in 1974.  It's Friday!
> Gary
>
> On 4/15/2010 4:55 PM, Harold Sprague wrote:
>> Gary,
>> It is just the weight of the volume of displaced concrete at 145
>> pcf.  It is easier to use multiple lifts so that there is less volume

>> displaced for any given lift thus reducing the tie-down demand.
>>
>> I was going to develop this priciple myself, but Archimedes edged me
>> out by about 2200 years.  In geologic terms it was a dead heat.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy
>>
>> Regards, Harold Sprague
>>

>> > Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:34:39 -0400
>> > From: design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca
>> > To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>> > Subject: Uplift Pressure of Wet Concrete?
>> >
>> > List,
>> >
>> > I'm currently working with some 1980mm (78" dia.) penstocks at an
old
>> > hydro plant that are being renovated or replaced.
>> >
>> > I have to design the temporary tie-downs at the thrust blocks or
>> support
>> > points when they pour concrete around them. I did a similar project
>> > about 15 years ago but I can't find my reference material.
>> >
>> > Does anybody know the uplift pressure (buoyancy) of wet concrete?
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >

>> > ******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
>> > * Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
>> > *
>> > * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
>> > * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
>> > * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
>> > *
>> > * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
>> > *
>> > * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
>> > * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
>> > * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
>> > * site at: http://www.seaint.org

>> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
>> inbox. Get started.

<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL
:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3>