Re: Preengineered - Prefabricated

Shiraz,
The term Pre-engineered Building is becoming obsolete in the meaning that it
has had in the metal building industry for the last 50 or so years. In fact
I believe that you will see "Pre-engineered" less often in the industry -
like the term "gage" is obsolete but will require a generation turn-over to
make it go away.

Traditionally, pre-engineered has meant that the components and assemblies
are previously designed to produce a catalogue of building sizes, types and
load capacity ranges from which the buyer can select to use at any site -
complete structure and envelope. Most metal building designs are now
completely site specific, custom structures onto which proprietary
assemblies for the building envelope are attached.

The term Prefabricated Building tends to suggest an assembly that is shipped
to site completely or substantially pre-assembled. This product may or may
not be pre-engineered in the sense that it may have been selected from a
catalogue of structural and cladding options but it is just as likely to be
a completely custom design.

In either case, when you bought a pre-xxx building, you were usually
restricted in options but you benefited in delivery time and price. Computer
analysis and CAD/CAM have made it possible to rapidly produce custom designs
without adding considerable time or cost.

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.