Use of Shrinkage Compensating Admixture in Ice Rink Slab

I have been asked to review a set of drawings for an ice skating rink that will use shrinkage compensating admixture (Catexol 200 SCA).  Although I have experience with the use of shrinkage compensating concrete (Type K) for slab on grade construction in warehouses I do not have any experience with the product specified for the ice rink.

A review of the slab details indicates that there are no control joints or provisions for the initial expansion of the concrete like would be required with Type K cement not to mention that the slab will be restrained by the embedded refrigeration lines. The mix design calls for Type I cement with flyash and no air-entrainment.

Does anyone have any insights into the appropriateness of this type of slab construction for an ice rink.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Structural Division Manager

Pennoni Associates Inc.
One Drexel Plaza
3001 Market Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Office 215-222-3000 x7895 | Direct 215-254-7895
Fax 215-222-0789 | Mobile 908-309-8657

Please visit our new website!