Geade beams per ACI 318-08 section 21.12.3.2

Title: Geade beams per ACI 318-08 section 21.12.3.2

List,

I have grade beams between pile caps in SDC D.   ACI 318-08 section 21.12.3.2 says,
the max. limit of least cross sectional dimension is 18 in.    Is there any reason
why the max. is set at 18 in.?  That means, we cannot have 24 in. or 30 in. (least)dimension?
I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Ravi Vasu

it from your computer.