Re: Geade beams per ACI 318-08 section 21.12.3.2

Ravi,

I think your paraphrase might be misleading.  The actual text reads as follows:

Grade beams designed to act as horizontal ties between pile caps or footings shall be proportioned such that the smallest cross-sectional dimension shall be equal to or greater than the clear spacing between connected columns divided by 20, but need not be greater than 18 in........

I do not think your interpretation is correct.  They are describing a minimum value of clear spacing divided by 20 but cap the minimum at 18 inches not a maximum.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

David Topete <d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
04/22/2010 02:20 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: Geade beams per ACI 318-08 section 21.12.3.2

Sounds like a typo, but I don't have a copy of ACI 318-08.  Have they completely renumbered the sections?  In 318-05, there is no section 21.12.3.2...  I would guess that the minimum dimension is 18".  That would be silly to cap it at 18", don't you think?  If you have a 12" grade beam, then the stirrups are 6" out-to-out when you include 3" cover on either side...  Any reasonable plan reviewer could be this.