Re:

Sounds somewhat familiar to my experience with HP DJ 500 42. The
printer output looked garbled in viewports. We have AutoCAD 2005 so it
seems really like a driver problem.
Try reinstalling the plotter on another PC and trying another type of
the driver from those available on CD (HPGL2 or HPGL2Ras).
As a last resort, try upgrading the firmware (available from HP website).

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Bausk