Re: How to Retrofit a Concrete Beam

I'd consider removing concrete cover and exposing the reinforcement
for inspection. Moreover, you might be required to have the inspection
performed in any case. You could come up with an overall scheme for
redesign (installing new supports etc.) and define areas where the
concrete would anyway have to be drilled into/removed in some other
way.

You could also rent a Hilti Ferroscan or similar equipment if
available at your location, it would pretty much do the job. We also
use other nondestructive testing devices but they don't yield as much
rebar information.

The point is, I'd get most info about the reinforcement with all
available means before considering any retrofit.

--
Alexander Bausk
http://bausk.wordpress.com