oil leak

Good morning,

The issue was already raised (I think, by Darryl), but at the time it appeared that we were close to a breakthrough.  Well, it looks like the oil leak in the Gulf is winning so far, and becoming a bigger problem by the hour.  It looks like BP and other parties involved can use some engineering ideas.

For example, would it be physically possible to lower powerful pumps to remove water and oil and water from the immediate area of the leak?  Something like a giant vacuum cleaner - without any enclosures, pipe capping, etc.  That may limit the amount of oil lost into the ocean (albeit, temporarily), and allow some time for finding a more permanent solution.

--
Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA