RE: Precast Concrete C-shaped Joists

The product you are referring to is most commonly called a channel joist or slab.

The numbering sequence you referred to sounds to me like you are looking at shop drawings instead of contract drawings.

If you scan the drawings and email the PDF’s I will take a look.

Otherwise, if there is no load capacity or reinforcement called out on the drawings your choices are:

1.      Find out what the building use was originally and research the Code required live load at the time it was constructed to determine the likely minimum live load capacity (the cheap but not very versatile/flexible solution).

2.      X-ray some a typical stem of the 12” and 9” channel slab (the expensive but all is revealed solution).

Structural Division Manager

Pennoni Associates Inc.
One Drexel Plaza
3001 Market Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Office 215-222-3000 x7895 | Direct 215-254-7895
Fax 215-222-0789 | Mobile 908-309-8657

Please visit our new website!