From: Steve Gordin [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: oil leak

Just called BP, suggested they formulated the problem on the engineer's lists (including this one) and provided an email address to send the ideas. They promised to call back - we'll see.

--
Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA

vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net wrote:

Anything is poss with the will. Canada has an indiv in Toronto somewhere who has access to surface vacuum ships but the experts obviously don't need the help.

Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 07:17:50 -0700

Subject: oil leak

Good morning,

The issue was already raised (I think, by Darryl), but at the time it appeared that we were close to a breakthrough.  Well, it looks like the oil leak in the Gulf is winning so far, and becoming a bigger problem by the hour.  It looks like BP and other parties involved can use some engineering ideas.

For example, would it be physically possible to lower powerful pumps to remove water and oil and water from the immediate area of the leak?  Something like a giant vacuum cleaner - without any enclosures, pipe capping, etc.  That may limit the amount of oil lost into the ocean (albeit, temporarily), and allow some time for finding a more permanent solution.

--
Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA