RE: Wind Loads on Roof Mounted Solar Panels

Joseph,

Actually, I’m not sure Figure 6-18A is the correct one to use. That figure (and the associated provisions of 6.5.13) is intended for large, at-grade structures like picnic pavilions, porte-cocheres and other open buildings, where the wind loads are typically resisted by tranverse moment frames. (Side note: ASCE 7-10 adds language to deal with the longitudinal frames as well.)

For a smaller, roof-mounted element such as a solar panel, I think the loading should be obtained from Section 6.5.15 using the force coefficients from Figure 6-21. Equation 6-28 used with the Figure 6-21 coefficients and the vertical projected area of the panel will give you the lateral wind load. Then apply the factor in Section 6.5.15.1 (as adjusted by the ratio of horizontal projected area of panel to horizontal projected area of roof) to generate the uplift wind load.

Regards,

Gary

GARY J. EHRLICH, P.E.

National Association of Home Builders