RE: Wind Loads on Roof Mounted Solar Panels

Conrad and Harold,

I want to thank you for your input and help.  What I am seeing is there is a need for a practical code section for this issue.  The articles suggested may be of some help, I hope so.  I have only done a cursory review as of yet because I have a couple of other things I need to do this morning and then I will dive back into this.  I’m not quite sure yet how I will end up looking at this. Probably using a combination of several sections of the code and then making a “judgment” call as to the pressures. I think they will all compare within a few psf uplift either way.  I will say, that there isn’t a lot of money, from what I can see, in doing these types of projects, therefore, going back and forth between a lot of ASCE tables and trying to make a decent decision doesn’t work well for these.  Although, that is what I will do this first time to get a feel for, and come up with a process and procedure that I will use if, hopefully, I get some more of these to do.  There is probably a fair amount of this type of thing to do these days with the push for “green”, and also living in AZ there is a lot of interest for solar retrofit.

It may seem that I am fretting a bit too much, but so be it for the first time.

Harold, I did also see the software listed as I did some google searches.  I may look into it as a purchase, but again I want to have a feel for the issues before using I especially if I should not get enough of these projects to pay for it.  Business has been extremely slow almost to the point of “belly up”, so any purchase will be closely looked at.  I have had to let some of my “maintenance” agreements lapse with some other software and I really didn’t want to do that but had no choice.

Thanks again,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC