RE: Wind Loads on Roof Mounted Solar Panels

Thanks Joe,

Table 3, appears to be based on report:

Geurts, C.P.W., Ravenshorst, G.J.P., Donkervoort, D.R., Windbelasting op
zonnecollectoren en zonnepanelen op plat-dak opstellingen: deelrapport
experimentele bepaling van de ontwerp-windbelasting (in Dutch), TNO report
2002-BS-R0061
(available on request).

Which I think is the report I gave a link to earlier:

http://www.senternovem.nl/mmfiles/Windbelasting_op_Zonne_energiedaken_tcm24-
225756.pdf

Oops not quite: got different authors. If only I could read Dutch.

I think the substructure issue relates to the building: not the immediate
supporting structure to the solar panel. It is the influence of the building
on the pressure coefficients, and the solar panels on the building
pressures. That is the difference in pressure coefficients on the panels,
when the panels are mounted on a free roof possibly a pergola type open
framework, versus when mounted on a the roof of an enclosed building. The
flow of air over the two building types is different due to the disturbance
caused by the walls.

Depending on the scale of the building relative to the panels, the flow of
air over the building may be more significant than what is happening locally
at the solar panel. Therefore simply adopt the pressure coefficients for the
roof for the design of the panel support structure. Also if have many solar
panels, then that will affect the surface roughness and flow of air causing
turbulence, in which case the pressure coefficients at the roof may change
and the design loads for the building may therefore have to be different.

Or at least that's my view without reading in detail.

Regards

Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide