Pipe to Pipe welded connections

I have just been asked to give a price to do a “connection” design on a triangular shaped trussed tower fabricated with round pipe sections.  I’ve done a few pipe to pipe connection designs in the past, but they have all been planer connections.  I haven’t yet done any for a “3D” type of connection.  This triangular tower will have some planer connections, mostly gapped connections (at diagonal bracing) with some other members intersecting at 60 degrees (in the horizontal plane) due to the triangular shape (the triangular shape is the plan shape).  I haven’t yet downloaded AISC’s design guide 24.  I just did a very quick search for connection software that may handle this type of connection and didn’t find anything.

Has anyone used AISC’s guide and will it give sufficient guidance for this type of three dimensional connection design?  Does anyone know of some affordable software that will do this?  I may be asking too much at this point, but as is usually the case, the proposal needs to be done very quickly, and the project is short fused.  I believe the tower has been done before at least in a very similar fashion, so significant variations will be looked at very skeptically.

The drawings are pretty good, but only show axial loading on the members.

I know this is a bit limited for information, but I don’t have a lot myself at this point.  I may know more shortly

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC