From: RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:44:57 -0400
Subject: The "grout baseplate"

I keep running into these contractors who will take canopy columns and simply drop them in a hole and fill it with grout.

How would that work? I can’t see achieving any (theoretical) uplift resistance with this method – as there isn’t anything allowing for a aluminum or steel to grout skin friction, that I know of at least.  Yet it appears to be common practice, so someone somewhere is getting this thru the building departments.   Am I missing something?