RE: Post-Installed Anchors - again

Speaking of which, I just found out that Hilti wont approve the use their HUS-H anchors for a shielded outdoor application (i.e. humidity only, not near ocean) – regardless of the information touting “corrosion resistance” in the technical manual.

This all came about because the box sent to the contractor had a warning about corrosive environments.  Why would they tell contractor but not the designer?  Irritating.

From: Larry Hauer [mailto:lhauer(--nospam--at)live.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:12 AM
To: Struct. Eng. Assoc.
Subject: RE: Post-Installed Anchors - again

Mark,

I think you are right- but why go through the manual calculation when there are all of the free post-installed anchor software programs out there, (Hilti, Simpson, Powers)? They have made the codes so complicated that you are more likely going to miss something trying to do a hand calc than inputting bad info into a software program.

Larry Hauer S.E.