RE: pole structure connections

I’m working on something similar right now.  My pole is large enough that I can get very low stresses in the weld to the baseplate and the stresses are well below any endurance (fatigue) limit.  I think my post is stiff enough that I won’t get any wind dynamics out of it but, since the weld can be made conservative, problem solved.

We spec low hydrogen rods and have typical charpy limits on them.  But with weld design stresses below 3 ksi, I’m not too worried.

From: PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: pole structure connections

I am working on  a project that includes a canopy shade structure supported by a single pole.  The pole is welded to a base plate that is anchored to a concrete footing.  (not possible to embed pole in concrete).  The pole has architectural limits on size, but at that dimension, I have double capacity when subjected to a 1g lateral load and am also within code displacement limits (0.02)h (sx).

However, the pole oscillates when pushed on.  Do I need to be concerned with fatigue at the joint of the pole to the plate?  Should I spec a special electrode for that joint?  The model is similar to the pole structures that support light in parking lots or street intersections - is anything special done in those instances for welding and material space?

Thank you,

Paul Franceschi, S.E.