RE: pole structure connections

Paul,
I have diagnosed many problems like this.  The usual cause is the stretch of the anchor rods.  Tensioning the anchor rods will likely correct the problem.  If they are 36 ksi material, just put a cheater on a spud wrench and stretch them out.  You can calculate the stretch you need for about 50% of the tensile strength without fear of breaking the anchor rod.  High strength anchor rods are tensioned to 70% of the tensile strength.  If you want more precission, you can use a hydraulic tensioner.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:06:53 -0400
Subject: pole structure connections
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I am working on  a project that includes a canopy shade structure supported by a single pole.  The pole is welded to a base plate that is anchored to a concrete footing.  (not possible to embed pole in concrete).  The pole has architectural limits on size, but at that dimension, I have double capacity when subjected to a 1g lateral load and am also within code displacement limits (0.02)h (sx).

However, the pole oscillates when pushed on.  Do I need to be concerned with fatigue at the joint of the pole to the plate?  Should I spec a special electrode for that joint?  The model is similar to the pole structures that support light in parking lots or street intersections - is anything special done in those instances for welding and material space?

Thank you,

Paul Franceschi, S.E.