Re: Tack Welding for Rebar

Do not tack weld to A615. If you are using one of those automatic tie welders, you need to use A706 bars for the ties and longitudinal steel.

-gm

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM, <Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com> wrote:

Enok,

AWS D1.1 is for structural steel applications however AWS D1.4 is the correct code for welding rebar.  In general, rebar should never be tack welded especially in high seismic applications as it will produce potential stress riser points.  The following is Section 5.4 from AWS D1.4:

"Tack welds that do not become a part of permanent welds shall be prohibited unless authorized by the Engineer.  Tack welds shall be subject to the welding requirements of the code, including preheat, electrode selection, and discontinuity acceptance criteria".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Enok Rosado Sánchez <erosado(--nospam--at)armacentro.com>
07/08/2010 05:22 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Tack Welding for Rebar

Hi,

I work for a construction system company, which main activity is the supply and on-site assembly of reinforcement for concrete structures, and we use the Europe Welding Code so I never have worked with any American Standards. I’ve to ensure safe handling, lifting, and transport cages which weights are more or less 2 Ton, and I think the tie wire isn’t suitable in this case. I going to use A615 rebar in the cages assemblies. I would like to know if there are special requirement for the tack welding.  I`ve been reading the AWS D1.1/D1.1M:2008 which contain the requirement for welding processes, and I’d like to know if the tack welding and welding crossing bars are the same terms. What kind of welding process is commonly used to make tack welds? Does this welding process adversely affect the mechanical properties of the rebar at the point of welding? I don’t know if the AWS allows welding A615 rebar, and I can’t see when weldability wouldn’t be important when it's used in a non-structural connection. There are tie-rod welding details for A615?

Thanks for any information and/or advice.

Best regards -Inok

P Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo: El medio ambiente es cosa de todos.
Before printing this email, think if it is really necessary: Environment is everyone's duty.