RE: Seawall

I would say yes, or at least find out if there were any concerns at time of construction.  To do otherwise might put responsibility on you for any unforeseen result that’s not your doing … i.e. original sin

Victoria, BC
Canada

From: IRV FRUCHTMAN [mailto:ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seawall

Fellow Engineers,

I’ve been asked to comment on the following situation:

A large building (the town’s new convention center) is planned that will be supported by 10 in dia pipe piles spaced 3 ft apart at the pile caps The first row of 50 piles have to pierce a 10 ft (app) high seawall comprised of large granite boulders – each about 5+ ft diameter – and then driven another 30 ft into beach sand. I suspect that the boulders will be first drilled to allow the piles.

The sea wall is some 50 years old and concrete was placed between the boulders. It was built by the Army Corps of Engineers.

The concern is that the structural integrity of the seawall might be compromised by drilling thru the boulders.  Does the Corps need to be advised of piles modification?

What do you think?

TIA,

Irv