RE: Seawall

We do a lot of marine engineering including seawall inspections.  What you have is typically called a cyclopean wall.  Most of those that we have inspected and are as old as yours suffer from deteriorating concrete.  I recommend a full inspection first, maybe do some pilot bores where your piles will be located.

Do you plan on grouting the piles into the seawall?  Or leaving a space for relative movements?  I can see a lot of flexibility in the 10” pipe piles relative to the wall.

That’s all I have for now.

From: IRV FRUCHTMAN [mailto:ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Seawall

Fellow Engineers,

I’ve been asked to comment on the following situation:

A large building (the town’s new convention center) is planned that will be supported by 10 in dia pipe piles spaced 3 ft apart at the pile caps The first row of 50 piles have to pierce a 10 ft (app) high seawall comprised of large granite boulders – each about 5+ ft diameter – and then driven another 30 ft into beach sand. I suspect that the boulders will be first drilled to allow the piles.

The sea wall is some 50 years old and concrete was placed between the boulders. It was built by the Army Corps of Engineers.

The concern is that the structural integrity of the seawall might be compromised by drilling thru the boulders.  Does the Corps need to be advised of piles modification?

What do you think?

TIA,

Irv