RE: PE Stamped Shop Drawings

As far as I understand, unless the EOR or project specifications state that it needs to be sealed by a PE, then it doesn’t need to be. The EOR then takes on that liability.  If the neither the construction documents nor the fabricator’s contract state such then the fabricator would be entitled to a change order.   A letter to such effect would likely quash the inspector’s demands.

From: milo zabala [mailto:milozabala(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: PE Stamped Shop Drawings

Listers,

Where can I find a code or standard provision about a requirement for shop drawings to be signed and stamped by a PE?  A shop inspector in one of our job insists that shop drwgs be stamped before start of  any inspection. Apparently, it was not required by the building official and some parts of the building which was done by other fabricator did not have PE stamped drawings.

Thx,

Milo Zabala