Re: Tension Only "X Bracing

See user note at end of section 13.1 of AISC 341-05.

Ben Yousefi, SE

From: Larry Hauer <lhauer(--nospam--at)live.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:45:33 -0600
To: Struct. Eng. Assoc.<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
ReplyTo: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Tension Only "X Bracing

To All,

I seem to remember that after the Northridge earthquake, "tension only "X"" bracing to resist seismic loads in high seismic areas became prohibited, (i.e. like a "tie rod" bracing system). But I can't find anything in the currect codes, (or even the '97 UBC), prohibiting this use to resist seismic forces, (seismic design catagory "D").

Can anyone shed some light on the use of "tension only" bracing?

Thanks in advance

Larry Hauer S.E.