re: shop dwgs

Others have had similar comments, so sorry if I am reiterating, but over the years I have had a couple of steel fabricators as clients as well as being in the traditional EOR role, so we have seen several different issues arise out of misunderstandings on shop drawings.

 First and foremost, I would use AISC's Code of Standard Practice as your guideline, which is in the back of the manual, for all the responsibilites of each person in the design and construction of steel structures. This makes it easy to refer to other people also, who would rarely suggest doing something outside of AISC's guidelines. Though I think these are standard practices and not some code enforceable-type provision.

As others have suggested, and we don't fully understand your situation, usually the EOR and architect both stamp a standard "REVIEWED" on the shop drawings, which is the fabricator's opportunity to clarify dimensions, design intent, etc. prior to ordering steel or fabricating. There is no need to sign and seal anything as the EOR, those are what your original CDs are for. The shop drawings themselves do not need to be signed and sealed either, they are not record or permit drawings.

The exception is of course any components delegated to the specialty engineer of the fabricator by the EOR, which often is stairs, handrails, platforms, canopies, and other miscellaneous components and sometimes connections. The fabricator would then be required to submit signed and sealed drawings, and often calcs, of the specialty engineered components to the EOR, who again would just be REVIEWING for design intent and conflicts. All components to be designed by the specialty engineer have to be clearly indicated on the CDs, and the design criteria must be clearly stated, and in the case of connections, reactions must (well, should) be clearly indicated.

I may have skipped over something but I think that is the gist of it. If you provide us with more details of the actual problem and situation, and what "they" are looking for, we can give you better advice. In general, the building department just wants someone taking responsibility for each component on a building, they don't care who. That is up to the owner, design team and the contractor to determine.

Regards,
Andrew Kester, PE