NYT article on engineering disasters

There is an article in the New York times on engineering disasters and learning from them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/science/20lesson.html?ref=science?8dpc&pagewanted=all

There is a paragraph on the British engineer Eric H. Brown who called structural engineering

"the art of molding materials we do not really understand into shapes we cannot really analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really assess, in such a way that the public does not really suspect.”