Re: Shearwall-Frame Interaction System

There is nothing in 97 UBC about this that I am aware of. However, if you want to look into more recent codes for guidance, you can look into section 12.2.5.10 of the ASCE 7-05, which requires the shear walls to resist at least 75 percent of story shear, and the frames to resist at least 25 percent of the shear at each level.

Ben Yousefi SE
Los Angeles, CA

From: "Kazemzadeh, Sam" <Sam.Kazemzadeh(--nospam--at)mottmac.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:08:01 +0100
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
ReplyTo: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Shearwall-Frame Interaction System

Dear Colleagues,

I am reviewing the design for a 51 storey tower in Zone 1 (UBC 97). The initial design is based on Shearwall-Frame Interaction System as the lateral stability system. According to UBC 97 shear wall and frame attracts the lateral force in proportion to their rigidity. Is there any specific lower bound for rigidity of frame action in this system? For instance, in the case of dual system UBC 97 suggests 25% of lateral force should be resisted by frame action.

Many Thanks,

Sam Kazemzadeh

Structural Engineer

Mott MacDonald Ltd.

T:    +44 (0)208 774 3960

E:    sam.kazemzadeh(--nospam--at)mottmac.com

W:    www.mottmac.com