From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 3:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Subgrade Modulus

You're making soil springs right?

-gm

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Joseph R. Grill <vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net> wrote:

Like I said in my last post I am doing a mat foundation 26’x54’.  There is a column line down the center parallel to the longitudinal direction.  Basically a large buried concrete shoe box.  Again since I don’t have a mat foundation design program I have set it up on Risa3D.  I understand (hopefully correctly) that the modulus that I input into the software is the plate value modified for footing size as suggested in Bowles.  What are the dimensions used for the modifying formula.  Should it be the entire 26’x54’ or should it be say the area tributary to one of the columns?  Sorry for the fundamental nature of the question, this is my first time.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC