RE: Minimum reinforcing in mat slab foundation

If your bending requirements are greater than minimum steel, then you should use 4/3 the required steel for moment, until you reach the ductile steel ratio of 200*bw*d/fy

Rich

From: Joseph R. Grill [mailto:vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 3:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum reinforcing in mat slab foundation

David,

Thank you.  My bending requirements will exceed .0018 therefore from that perspective I am probably o.k.  I couldn’t find if there were more stringent minimum requirements for a mat due to the large square footage.  Like I said ACI 350 increases the minimum for distances between joints, but that is for “environmental structures”.  I was using those values, but due to the dimensions of the slab I was getting a lot of temp and shrinkage steel.  Since it is not a “containment” structure and there probably isn’t a ground water problem, I can probably back off some.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC