Re: A563 Nut Question

Charlie,

The problem with welding ASTM A563 nuts is that this material is not listed in AWS D1.1 for use with prequalified welding procedures (so you would have to qualify the welding procedure by testing) and the fact that these nuts are quenched and tempered therefore the high welding temperatures can effect the strength properties.  You might consider other welding options or couplers.

You can find further guidance on anchor bolt repair in AISC Design Guide 1 Section 2.11, AISC Design Guide 21 Chapter 12, and AISC Design Guide 23 Chapter 7.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

canitzcf(--nospam--at)aol.com
08/05/2010 03:59 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
A563 Nut Question

I believe that past messages regarding welding (e.g., to a base plate)
of the subject nut have indicated that this was not possible since it
is considered a "non weldable" material.

I have ASTM A 563 and noticed that Table 1 lists the carbon composition
for the various grades up to a maximum of 0.55% to 0.58%. Hence, the
corresponding CE > 0.55.

Grade DH, however, lists the low end carbon composition around 0.2%.
Does this mean that if the related mill cert provides a chemical
composition with a resultant CE < 0.55 that this particular nut could
be welded?

My question relates to a field issue where the column base anchor rods
are too short. The classic fixes of extending the rods with a coupling
nut or extending the rods with a new rod via a full pen weld (assuming
that the existing rods are weldable) may not work.

Currently, I'm thinking that the use of adhesive anchors may be the
only solution.

TIA,
Charlie Canitz, PE
Annapolis, MD