FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom

Title: FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom

List,

I need to know the difference between headed anchor bolt(A36, A307….) and anchor bolt with plate at bottom.
I have a case of Steel column sitting on a concrete pedestal with rebars.  (ductile design in SDC D)

1.  We need to develop the anchor bolt by providing sufficient rebars.  The (headed)anchor bolt length depends on the development length

of rebar we provide.  'ASCE guidelines on anchor bolt' gives steps to do this.

2.  Is providing a anchor plate, say 5 in dia for 2 in anchor bolt(at bottom) can reduce the Anchor bolt length by lot?  if we follow the 45 deg.

failure plane from the edge of the plate to the rebar, It does not reduce the bolt length by more than plate width/2.  That is hardly 2 to 3 inches

difference compared to headed bolt case in this case.  If so, what is the use of providing the plate?  Am I missing something here?

In certain cases, concrete compaction below the plate may not be good.

Appendix D, ACI 318, section D5.2.9 & D6.2.9 refers to take rebar strength instead of concrete breakout strength
In determining rebar/length in accordance with Ch. 12 (or Ch. 22 for seismic).  It does not say any detail about
anchor bolt w/ plate.  In the definition for anchor it says about hooked or headed bolts only.

Is there any reference material available?

Pl. let me know.  Thanks

Ravi Vasu

it from your computer.