Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom
- From: "Vasu, Ravi" <Ravi.Vasu(--nospam--at)jacobs.com>
- Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:06:28 -0500
Title: FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom
I need to know the difference between headed anchor bolt(A36, A307….) and anchor bolt with plate at bottom.
I have a case of Steel column sitting on a concrete pedestal with rebars. (ductile design in SDC D)
1. We need to develop the anchor bolt by providing sufficient rebars. The (headed)anchor bolt length depends on the development length
of rebar we provide. 'ASCE guidelines on anchor bolt' gives steps to do this.
2. Is providing a anchor plate, say 5 in dia for 2 in anchor bolt(at bottom) can reduce the Anchor bolt length by lot? if we follow the 45 deg.
failure plane from the edge of the plate to the rebar, It does not reduce the bolt length by more than plate width/2. That is hardly 2 to 3 inches
difference compared to headed bolt case in this case. If so, what is the use of providing the plate? Am I missing something here?
In certain cases, concrete compaction below the plate may not be good.
Appendix D, ACI 318, section D5.2.9 & D6.2.9 refers to take rebar strength instead of concrete breakout strength
In determining rebar/length in accordance with Ch. 12 (or Ch. 22 for seismic). It does not say any detail about
anchor bolt w/ plate. In the definition for anchor it says about hooked or headed bolts only.
Is there any reference material available?
Pl. let me know. Thanks
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing,
copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended
recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting
it from your computer.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Anch. Bolt Tension at Corner of Basement Wall
- Next by Subject: Re: FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom
- Previous by thread: Re: A563 Nut Question
- Next by thread: Re: FW: Anchor bolt with plate at bottom