ASXE 31-03

To All,

I have been asked to evaluate an existing office building for compliance with ASCE/SEI 31-03 due to a California state agency wishing to occupy part of the building, (2 story wood frame with OMF lateral resistive system over a concrete flat plate parking area at grade, and designed in the mid. 80’s).

Back in 2001 this building was reviewed by a California SE using GSA/FEMA 310 with, (in my opinion), some pretty serious non-compliance items such as masonry shear walls overstressed, moment connections Pre-Northridge Earthquake, bottom reinforcing in flat plate at column strips not continuous, etc. If these items are still applicable under the ASCE 31-03, it seems to me that another evaluation of the structure may be unnecessary due to the high retro-fit costs.

So, my questions is: Is ASCE 31-03, (which I have a copy of), basically the same as FEMA 310, (which I do not have a copy of)?  If there is a difference between the two publications, is one more liberal/conservative than the other?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.