Re: ASXE 31-03

Larry,

ASCE 31 is basically an updated and compiled standard that is based on FEMA 310.  I believe some of the language and terminology is clarified in 31.  Our office just provided a review of a potential purchase for a state of CA office, and they have their own "seismic policy" for purchased or leased buildings.  It states that a building would only be purchased if rated "good" (= better than Life Safety), or if it is rated "fair" (= Life Safety) with a reasonable retrofit scheme and cost estimate associated with it.

Sounds like you may have something similar...  From your initial description, it doesn't sound like this building would comply with such requirements...

Good Luck.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Alexander Bausk <bauskas(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Larry,

 >FEMA 310, (which I do not have a copy of)

Notwithstanding my complete ignorance on the issue, I think now you have one:
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEMA/ARCHIVES/fema310.pdf

Regards