To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 9:12 AM
Subject: re: retaining wall

Daryl,
That is a tricky one, moment connections with wood don't seem to work
very well. You could easily design a CIP concrete column and dowel it
into the existing footing, but that is not very practical for a
residential retaining wall. What about a CMU column from a single 8x16
used in the strong axis, vertical reinforcment doweled into the exstg
ftg, used like a buttress? You could maybe place the CMU on the back
side of the wall and then use epoxy bolts to attach the wood retaining
wall. You could dress it up on the exposed side with a faux wood post
if you wanted.

My other less practical idea which you probably already have would be
a HSS member with a base plate epoxy bolted into the exstg footing,
flag pole style. You may be surprised as to how cheap a small steel
fab may be able to do this, especially with "this economy".

HTH,
Andrew Kester, PE
Florida