Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:41:15 +0400
Subject: GPR
From: bauskas(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Dear listers,

I'm researching possibilities to buy a versatile ground penetrating radar unit for diverse condition assessment tasks and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this technology and would like to give me some practical insight into this.

In summary, we are looking into detecting, measuring and 3D imaging of cracks, conduits and rebar under 50-100cm (up to 40") protection concrete; then we have up to 5' thick heavy and very heavy (serpentinite and cast-iron aggregate) concrete walls with steel lining to evaluate cracks, rebar and tendon conduits as well as measure thickness.

The less critical but nevertheless important tasks are 3D imaging of gravity dams and other civil structures, detecting hidden foundations and objects, etc
Moreover, we have airstrip/road pavements to QA as the least critical task.

I would appreciate if you could share your experience with GPR in concrete assessment applications and give any examples of specific equipment in use (I'm basically trying to choose between a second hand S&S SIR and new MALA ProEx).

TIA and best regards
Alex

--
Alexander Bausk
MSc Structural engineering, Ph.C. Engineering