RE: GPR

It depends on the sophistication required for the NDT.  If I am just locating rebar, it is one issue.  A lot of engineers will do that.  If the NDT is to determine continuity on an auger cast pile 40 feet long, it is best left up to a guy like Larry Olson.

We do work all over the world and the confidence in foreign locations is variable.  I generally suggest hiring Mr. Olson's firm.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 01:29:29 +0300
Subject: Re: GPR
From: bauskas(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Harold,

thank you for this link. It's quite a lot of stuff there and I have dedicated a good deal of time to explore it.
Mr. Olson's work is quite impressive. My team is believed to be well-equipped and pioneering new technologies here within our physical reach but it's the whole other level of technology that I see at his website.

Speaking of NDT, is it a normal practice in the U.S. to subcontract it to a provider from a remote location (and even as remote as another state) or it would be the case for really complex situations? In other words, is the average daily NDT practice as technology- and innovation-intensive as one could infer from the link you've shared?

TIA,
Alex