Re: Coefficient of Friction

The code implicitly disallows the use of friction to resist seismic forces, hence the use of "self-anchored" tanks does not appear a great idea. Besides, such tanks will be quite susceptible to wind when empty.

That said, we routinely use friction between the footings and the soil to resist seismic forces. How does that work from the code and just rational standpoints?

SGE Mobile

On Aug 28, 2010, at 8:29, "Richard Hess" <RLHess(--nospam--at)HessEng.com> wrote:

Paul,

That will not work if it is in earthquake country.  The vertical forces will dance it all over the place.

Richard Hess, S.E.

From: Paul Blomberg [mailto:paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 12:49 PM
To: seaint
Subject: Coefficient of Friction

I have a client that wants their product tanks installed without anchorage (self-anchored) and I am trying to locate a coefficient of friction between the tanks (fiberglass and plastic tanks) and their base (concrete and gravel pads).  All these tanks are flat bottomed and supported on grade.

Does anyone have a reference with this information so I can check sliding?

Paul.