Re: Coefficient of Friction

Richard,

This is true, but as we know, lateral bearing provides less resistance than friction - at least, for heavy equipment pads. Tricky...

SGE Mobile

On Aug 28, 2010, at 15:18, "Richard Hess" <RLHess(--nospam--at)HessEng.com> wrote:

That is why “footings” have to be buried into the soil where lateral forces are at least partially resisted by lateral resistance of the soil; not to mention the added weight of the concrete itself.

Richard Hess, S.E.

From: sgeconsulting [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:18 PM
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Coefficient of Friction

The code implicitly disallows the use of friction to resist seismic forces, hence the use of "self-anchored" tanks does not appear a great idea. Besides, such tanks will be quite susceptible to wind when empty.

That said, we routinely use friction between the footings and the soil to resist seismic forces. How does that work from the code and just rational standpoints?

SGE Mobile