RE: Coefficient of Friction

Unanchored tanks are allowed per Section 15.7.  For those who design large tanks, it is almost impossible to resist lateral loads due to earthquake events.  When you run the numbers, it becomes obvious that anchoring large tanks is almost impossible.  That is why there are provisions to contain the liquid in very large events.   There are a lot of rules depending on the material contained in the tank.  The coefficient of friction is not well defined for FRP tanks.  FRP tanks do not have much ductility and must be designed accordingly.  But the bottom line is that there are provisions to design unanchored tanks per ASCE 7, Section 15.7.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:51:17 -0700
Subject: Re: Coefficient of Friction
From: paul.blomberg(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

This area (Wyoming) is relatively low seismically (SDC B).  I'm working in the tanks section of ASCE 7 (I don't have it with me but I think it is section 15.7).  An unanchored or self anchored tank is an acceptable approach as long as the numbers work out.   There are many tanks small and large throughout the US that are not anchored.

This tank is indoors so wind is not a factor.  When outdoors, the tank is calc'ed for wind loads with the tank empty to check sliding and overturning.  This tank is not considered a component so the ASCE 7 friction disallowance does not come into play.

The problem I have is the friction factors that I can find are for a steel tank on concrete.  I have a fiberglass or plastic tank on concrete.  If it were a steel tank it would work out easily but I need to adjust for the difference in friction between steel and fiberglass.  For reference, the tank is 12' diameter by 17' tall.  It was not placarded as an ASME, API, AWWA, etc. tank so I'm not using one of those standards.

Paul.