RE: Coefficient of Friction

Large diameter tanks with small height to diameter ratios (around 0.5) do not have to be anchored because the sloshing action of the liquid prevents the whole tank to be lifted at the same time.  The failure mode of these tanks is to have an “elephant foot” bulge on the download side and/or a tension rip on the opposite side.  These things can be prevented by proper design of the shell thickness.  This relationship was defined in a paper by Mitchell and Wozniak after studying tank failures in the 1964 Alaskan and other earthquakes and incorporated in API  650 App E and AWWA D100.  The main object was to encourage building tanks with greater diameters in relation to their heights where that is possible and economical.

Tanks, reservoirs or vessels with supported bottoms must be anchored.

Richard Hess, S.E.

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Coefficient of Friction

Unanchored tanks are allowed per Section 15.7.  For those who design large tanks, it is almost impossible to resist lateral loads due to earthquake events.  When you run the numbers, it becomes obvious that anchoring large tanks is almost impossible.  That is why there are provisions to contain the liquid in very large events.   There are a lot of rules depending on the material contained in the tank.  The coefficient of friction is not well defined for FRP tanks.  FRP tanks do not have much ductility and must be designed accordingly.  But the bottom line is that there are provisions to design unanchored tanks per ASCE 7, Section 15.7.

Regards, Harold Sprague