RE: USGS Ground Motion Tool

David-
I would agree that a site along San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley is highly unlikely to be Site Class B. However, the USGS Ground Motion Program simply uses a Default of Site Class of B expecting you to change the Site Class to whatever your site class actually is. Site B represents a typical rock site in the Western US (Class A is very hard rock like they have in the Eastern US) and makes for an easy reference standard to index other site classes from. Notice that the online JAVA application says "Set [emphasis added] Site Class" on the right hand side of the Site Coefficients window. Also note that Site Class B is the only site class with both Fa and Fv = 1.0 (i.e, it is the reference value).
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley, CA