Re: Anch. Bolt Tension at Corner of Basement Wall

The usual anchor rods are used for shear, the holdowns at the panel ends are for the chord tension forces.

On 9/2/2010 8:22 AM, Garner, Robert wrote:

I noticed that the Simpson anchors are only for tension loads and not shear loads.  What does one do for shear loads?

Bob

From: DAVE ANDERSON [mailto:dnae(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Anch. Bolt Tension at Corner of Basement Wall

Joe

see new simpson ICC ESR2611

DAVE

On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Joseph R. Grill wrote:

I have a question for all you ACI Appendix D fans out there (if there are any fans).

I am looking at the tension value for a hold down anchor at the corner of a basement wall.  The situation doesn’t appear, at first, to fall into D.5.2.3 anchor located < 1.5hef on three sides.  But it also doesn’t appear to be a situation such as the sketch in Fig. RD.5.2.1(a) where the anchor is only near the free edge on two sides because the thickness of the basement wall doesn’t allow the total Anc to be engaged as in the sketch.  My thought is to use Anc calculated for an anchor near two free edges and reduce Anc for the concrete “missing” at the interior of the wall at the corner.

Hope that explains it.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC