Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Sealing documents for a fabricator

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Out of curiosity, what will be your involvement in inspecting the fabricator’s work or providing structural observation?  Of course, that would only be for fabrications to be used in your state.  Is it an AISC Certified fabricator?  Even if they are, will you check up on the fabricator?


Bob Garner


From: Joseph R. Grill [mailto:vveng(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 11:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: Sealing documents for a fabricator


But….I would be doing calculations for the “basic design” for the fabricator.  He needs somewhere to start, if that makes sense.  He shouldn’t have to look for an engineer licensed in 50 states to start his project or get designs from a number of engineers before he starts.  If he understands that he will need additional engineering for specific sites or jurisdictions that should be his responsibility if he understands that my analysis is only good for the state for which the documents have been sealed.


Sort of like a PEMB.  They have their basic designs and then are checked, “tweeked” then sealed for actual locations.




Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC

email: VVEng(--nospam--at)


From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at) [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 10:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Sealing documents for a fabricator



If your project is in the mid-West for East Coast the building official may not care but on the West Coast, if you are going to be stamping the calculation and drawings, then your license will need to be for the state that the stack is erected.  Also, if your calculations are going to be submitted to a building department then you will have to include all code required loads which would certainly include wind AND seismic.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

"Joseph R. Grill" <vveng(--nospam--at)>
09/10/2010 10:19 AM
Please respond to seaint





Sealing documents for a fabricator


Several months ago this question was asked and I am not sure I remember the responses.  I am checking lateral for a self supporting steel stack for the fabricator of the stack.  I am licensed in the state that the fabricator is located, but the stack may be sold and located in states that I am not licensed.  I believe this is fine and will inform the fabricator that he may have some additional engineering costs if the stack is located in a state that I am not licensed.  I can check wind, and will also inform the fabricator that there may be additional costs for a seismic check.
Any comments?
Joseph R. Grill, PE
Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC
email: VVEng(--nospam--at)
The information transmitted is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. 
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are
hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination,
distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon
this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. 

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.