SHEAR WALLS

REPLY:

Bill,

From your description it seems that your model is intended to have shear elements,
which means no stiffness in bending normal to the wall.

Whether you are modeling this or full plates does not really matter.
There will be 3 types of elements:

1. Hollow  concrete block
2. Filled concrete block
3. Solid concrete

For (1) you will have two layers of wall with additive shear stiffness.
For (2) you will have 3 layers, two as before and one, of larger G,
representing concrete.
(3) will be the simplest.

The distribution of shear forces will be according to stiffness.
Each wall type has to be checked independently for stress.

Does this help in any way?

Gregory from Oz

QUESTION:

From: Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Relative Stiffnesses of Masonry Shear Walls (Compared to Concrete)

  Trying to model a complicated building base. Building is a wood-framed
apartment, 3 storeys (sorry, like the Brit spelling better this time),
sitting atop a "podium" constructed of a thick concrete slab supported
by a forest of concrete columns in the interior, and 8-inch CMU
shearwalls all along the boundary.

The CMU walls have grouted cells every 32".

I'm trying to figure out the shear demand for the walls in this (very)
irregular building, and as it has been a long time, I need to remember
how to show the "stiffness" of those walls acting as shear elements. I
recall that the spacing of grouted cells has a part to play (i.e. the
smaller the spacing the more stiff the wall), and I want to model the
walls assuming they are concrete elements with the thickness of those
elements reflecting the relative stiffness compared to a solid concrete
wall (in effect the masonry walls would be "thinner" than their nominal
thickness in the real world.

I need some guidance here. Anyone?