Re: Sealing documents for a fabricator

This sounds like a "standard" design rather than a custom product. "Sort of
Like a PEMB" ... raises a lot of flags for issues that probably don't apply
to this product. Think of this stack as more like a structural bolt rather
than a full building - it is only an element of the full engineered process
assembly.

So my question is:
Who is the project consultant? You, on behalf of the manufacturer, or the
owner's consultant which specifies the manufactured product?

If it is the owner's consultant, are they obligated to require a
jurisdiction specific signed/sealed document for the product OR will the
project consultant select the product based on data provided by the
manufacturer (e.g. load tables for steel deck or standard joists) - they may
ask for a sealed document but there may not be jurisdictional requirements.

I suspect that your role on behalf of the manufacturer is as a specialty
engineer. In this case, it is the project engineer's responsibility to
ensure that they are satisfied that the manufactured product is appropriate
for their designs based on information provided (e.g. your design basis).
The issue of jurisdictional specific seals can be worked out during the
sales negotiations.

Also, beware the use of "fabricator" vs "manufacturer" for standardized
products. Although the manufacturer may be a fabricator, a fabricator may
not be a manufacturer in all cases. There are insurance and liability
implications.

Regards,
Paul

--